Surprise, surprise!
Even in a lockdown it seems there can still be surprises. This week our boys came to stay with us for
an unspecified period of time. Normally they split their time between our home and their mum’s, but
when all of this craziness began it was decided that they’d stay with their mum to avoid any
unnecessary travel and to reduce the risk of unwittingly spreading the virus.
However, it seems that lockdown in Guantanamo Canton was more stressful than was originally an unspecified period of time. Normally they split their time between our home and their mum’s, but
when all of this craziness began it was decided that they’d stay with their mum to avoid any
unnecessary travel and to reduce the risk of unwittingly spreading the virus.
anticipated, so they’ve come to spend some time with us. Upon arrival on Friday afternoon Dylan
immediately set to it to dye his dark hair blonde. His reasoning is that if it doesn’t go to plan he’s got
12 weeks of not needing to go out in public so that it can grow out. I knew we were in for a treat when
I heard him laughing to himself after he washed the toner out. It was originally a sort of yellow colour
(think Justin Timberlake when he had dubious blonde hair) but he’s since had another go at it and it
now looks more like a purple rinse!
Last weekend I gave Vera a spring clean inside so that we could sleep in her on Saturday night. I immediately set to it to dye his dark hair blonde. His reasoning is that if it doesn’t go to plan he’s got
12 weeks of not needing to go out in public so that it can grow out. I knew we were in for a treat when
I heard him laughing to himself after he washed the toner out. It was originally a sort of yellow colour
(think Justin Timberlake when he had dubious blonde hair) but he’s since had another go at it and it
now looks more like a purple rinse!
wouldn’t normally entertain the idea of sleeping in her on the driveway; our street seems to be a
popular route home from the pub on a weekend judging by the odd bottle thrown over the fence, and
the half empty pint glasses and takeaway trays that come to rest outside the gate. However, the
inhabitants of Bedwas seem to be taking the lockdown quite seriously so we decided to do it. We’re
missing not going out in her so this is the next best thing! On Sunday we had a BBQ cooked by the boys and it was lovely to sit in the garden with a few beers and pretend everything was normal.
popular route home from the pub on a weekend judging by the odd bottle thrown over the fence, and
the half empty pint glasses and takeaway trays that come to rest outside the gate. However, the
inhabitants of Bedwas seem to be taking the lockdown quite seriously so we decided to do it. We’re
missing not going out in her so this is the next best thing! On Sunday we had a BBQ cooked by the boys and it was lovely to sit in the garden with a few beers and pretend everything was normal.
In office news, due to the boys’ return I’ve moved out of Matt’s bedroom and am now using Lee’s desk
downstairs. Lee is still using Dylan’s room, but he’s got his dissertation to finish so he needs to be up
anyway or he just sleeps while Lee works! The boys both realise that we need to be adaptable at the
moment and are happy to go with the flow.
As I write I can hear my other half trying to get on a group video call with his team. We use this anyway or he just sleeps while Lee works! The boys both realise that we need to be adaptable at the
moment and are happy to go with the flow.
function regularly in our team so it’s genuinely entertaining to hear the now-standard instructions and
conversations which go with every video call:
In actual work news my organisation, which regulates the social work and social care workforce, conversations which go with every video call:
- “Nope, still can’t hear/see anything”
- “I can only see the top of your head”
- “Move to your left a bit….a bit more…..there you are!”
- Let’s try coming out of it and dialling in again
- “How do we leave the meeting? Is it off yet?” - be VERY careful what you say at this point because there will be at least three other people still on the call (because they can’t work out how to end it either) and they can hear everything you say
will be rolling out key worker ID cards to everyone on our register, and all registered care settings,
after Easter. This will hopefully give them the same recognition as NHS workers in terms of having
access to priority shopping and online delivery slots, and to have some form of proof that any travel
they do is essential. The amount of work being done across the whole of Wales in response to the
outbreak is phenomenal.
The exercising is still going well. I’m going with it for now as I’m sure the time will come (probably onceafter Easter. This will hopefully give them the same recognition as NHS workers in terms of having
access to priority shopping and online delivery slots, and to have some form of proof that any travel
they do is essential. The amount of work being done across the whole of Wales in response to the
outbreak is phenomenal.
I’m back on the chocolate) when I can’t be bothered, so I’m trying to build up an exercise surplus while
I’ve got momentum. Last week I downloaded a Garmin training plan to my sports watch in a bid to
give me some focus and get me out of bed in the mornings. It’s nice to be able to concentrate a bit
more on my fitness as it’s usually only given a slot a couple of times a week, and it often gets bumped
altogether due to impromptu family visits or Transport for Wales deciding to make me sit on a train for
40 minutes, whilst not going anywhere, with no explanation.
I ran my relay 5k on Saturday. Needless to say my team didn’t win, but it got us chatting on Messenger I’ve got momentum. Last week I downloaded a Garmin training plan to my sports watch in a bid to
give me some focus and get me out of bed in the mornings. It’s nice to be able to concentrate a bit
more on my fitness as it’s usually only given a slot a couple of times a week, and it often gets bumped
altogether due to impromptu family visits or Transport for Wales deciding to make me sit on a train for
40 minutes, whilst not going anywhere, with no explanation.
and it gave us all something to focus on, which is what we need at the moment. The next challenge is
half marathon distance, again in teams of three. It doesn’t take a genius to work out where these
challenges are heading; they’re obviously the work of a mad woman!
Other things keeping me entertained during these restrictions include:half marathon distance, again in teams of three. It doesn’t take a genius to work out where these
challenges are heading; they’re obviously the work of a mad woman!
- the British sense of humour. It’s very much alive and kicking, based on the number of
- coronavirus and lockdown related memes I receive on my social media feeds, although Instagram seems to be the place to go for a bit of sense!
- Slebs doing live stuff on Twitter and Instagram. Chris Packham (him off Springwatch) is doing a live stream from his home in the New Forest every morning. I can’t watch it in real time as I’m working, but it’s nice to watch it back later;
- Sarah Millican (v.funny lady) is reading chapters of her autobiography. Again, this happens when I’m working, but I catch up on “insta” later. She describes herself as a “glasses-wearing potty mouth”, which is probably why I like her so much!
- lots of music peeps are also doing online sessions. Gary Barlow has been doing duets online with other singers, and lots of West End performers and country music artists are putting on virtual shows too.
So we’re almost at the end of the initial three weeks of restrictions. Hands up who thinks any
restrictions will be lifted? No? Me neither. Large numbers of UK residents are still idiots so we
probably can’t be trusted to have any sanctions lifted yet. I bet Easter weekend will be yet another
classic illustration of the fact that you can’t quarantine stupid.
Let’s end on a high though, shall we? It’s Easter this weekend, we’ve got two extra days off work
(just think of all the cleaning you can do in that time) and I can eat chocolate again - hurrah! It’s also
my wedding anniversary on Easter Monday, so we’re having another pretend camp out in the van to
celebrate.
Look after yourselves and in the words of Sarah Millican "wash your fucking hands" (you have to say my wedding anniversary on Easter Monday, so we’re having another pretend camp out in the van to
celebrate.
it in a Geordie accent to get the full benefit).
Happy Easter xxx
Don't come a knocking when the van is a rocking!! Another fab read. Thank you xx
ReplyDelete